Saturday, January 26

Thirty-One

May I just say that I love birthdays! I think they are so much fun and who wouldn't want to celebrate with friends and loved ones. People are always nice to you, old friends call you up and send emails, you get taken out to dinner, lunch and even given presents. I mean come on, no one likes to get older, but all this fun certainly softens the blow. So a special THANK YOU to all those who remembered me on my birthday - it was great to feel special and loved by my friends and family. Turning 31 wasn't too shabby. It isn't as glamorous as turning the big 3-0, which was why 31 was a little harder - I mean THIRTY ONE, yeah I'm just getting older that's all. I did go out and buy myself some eye cream to start this year off right. I should have probably been using the stuff for a few years now, but I haven't and now I am. Enough said about that - I had a great birthday.

Last Saturday night John took me to The Stinking Rose up in Beverly Hills for dinner - it was really good (if you go definitely get the boneless short ribs - they were like butter) and then we went to Pinkberry for dessert - neither of us had been before and we wanted to know what all the fuss was about. John absolutely loved it - I thought it was really good. After that we went to the Pantages Theatre to see Wicked.
I know!!! I know, we are the last people on Earth to see this musical, but I have been dying to see it and I loved it. It was a super special night and I felt like it was one of the best date nights we have had in a long time - if not the best (Hint... Hint... John). I love my birthday!

Then on my actual birthday Dr. Martin Luther King was kind enough to give the kids the day off of school so we went the the park where friends came and brought cookies (yes, Adrienne's famous peanut butter chocolate chip) and cupcakes. Once again - I love my birthday! Also, for my very special day my parents came in town from Utah - ok not really - they came to pick up their stuff to move into their big new fancy house, but they got here on my birthday. Good enough. So that night we went to the good old Harbor House (open 24 hours and will serve breakfast anytime you want) for dinner. It was a lot of fun. We came home to this gorgeous cake that John made and the kids and he decorated.
I made an outstanding wish (that I already forgot) and the kids helped me blow out the candles - there may be more spit then frosting on this cake.

The rest of my week was filled with pedicures, dinners with friends, breakfast with friends, sprinkles cupcakes, treats, more cookies and presents. I had such a good time and let's face it - I love my birthday!

9 comments:

Amber said...

You are not the last people to see Wicked. Ben and I are. Actually I shouldn't say Ben cause there is no way he would ever go see it with me. I'm glad you did such fun things, you deserve it. Isn't Pinkberrys yummy? I love it. There's a place by our house called Frozen Stone that's just like it. I could go there everyday and I'm not kidding.

Lori said...

I'm glad you had such a fun birthday. I know I love it when my friends have birthdays since that means I get to go out in honor of them!!

Jenny said...

I agree with Lori. I love celebrating other people's birthdays much more than my own. I love to pick out presents, go to breakfast lunch and/or dinner. Oh, and dessert. I forgot about dessert!
31 does seem older. I can say that 'cause I'm turning 31 in a couple of months, right?
Speaking of eye cream and being 31- I just started using some about 2 weeks ago. Doesn't it suck getting older? The wrinkles on my forehead don't go away like they used to... I figure I should probably start doing something. I've also made a resolution to wash my face before bed too, but I haven't done that one yet.
And you're not the last one to see Wicked - I'm afraid I may never get to. The chances keep passing me by! Oh well. I'm glad you had a good birthday.

Jules said...

Sounds like a great birthday. You are blessed to have so many great friends and a devoted family. What a great looking cake! Definitely beats making your own!

Christy said...

I'm glad 31 wasn't so bad. I don't know why it scares me a little. I LOVE the play Wicked! I'm glad you were able to see it. Good job, John!

Tracy said...

I'm so happy that you had a fun birthday. You deserve to have a great week long birthday! I haven't seen Wicked yet either, I really want to see it!

Anonymous said...

If 31 was not as glamorous as 30 then I want to know what you did for last years big day. I think the run down of birthday festivaties sounded pretty spectacular. In fact, I am going to have Paul read your Birthday itnerary to show him how utterly boring we really are :). Hope you have many more fabulous weeks ahead.

Meggan said...

Wow, you had a blast! What a fun birthday. And Wicked??!! We saw it for the first time too and LOVED it.

You look great for 31--put away the eye cream for another couple years.

Tarah said...

I love that John not only made the cake but decorated it with legible writing. How sweet. I LOVE pinkberry too. There is just something addicting about the tartness. Your looking amazing!